St Stephen’s Green in Dublin City Center in Ireland has four centuries of history behind it. Originally it was a marshy piece of land used for grazing livestock. In 1634 it was enclosed and the land around sold for development. The rent generated from this development helped build the streets and surrounding neighborhood plus the residents were asked to plant sycamore trees in the park.
The houses built around the park were soon replaced by Georgian buildings and by 18th century it became a wealthy and fashionable neighborhood. Though today very little has survived from these eighteenth century buildings. The style is still Georgian. Originally the park was enclosed by two rows of lime trees but later in 1815 Arthur Neville redesigned the park and enclosed it with iron fences and created many winding paths.
In 1814 the park looked deteriorated and was taken over by the commission for repairs and more planting but the park became private for residents only and public resented losing access. During 1860 when the park was to become public again William Sheppard redesigned the park to make it more walkable for the public, and the park more like it is today. In 1877 Sir Arthur Guinness, later known as Lord Ardilaun, paid of the debts and transferred the ownership to department of public works and also invested in landscaping of the park adding many exotic plants and trees.
The park provides interesting features and areas there is a section for the blind with scented plants and signage in braille, the Fusiliers’ Arch commemorating the Royal Dublin Fusiliers of the Second Boer War.
The fountain of Three Fates by Joseph Wackerle, a statue of Lord Ardilaun, a sculpture by Henry Moore, a sculpture of James Joyce, Constance Markievicz, Robert Emmet, Thomas Kettle, Fenian leader Jeremiah O’Donovan Rossa, Theobald Wolfe Tone, a memorial to the Great Famine of 1845–1850.